Can you do the Ha Giang Loop by car?
Yes, the Ha Giang Loop can definitely be done by car, and it’s a great option for those who prefer a bit more comfort or are not inclined to ride a motorbike. Traveling by car offers the flexibility to explore the same breathtaking route, with added comfort and convenience. It’s an ideal choice for families, groups, or anyone who prioritizes a more relaxed journey.
Ha Giang Loop by car vs motorbike
Pros and Cons of Ha Giang Loop by Car vs Motorbike
- Exact Same Route: Experience all the key sights and attractions along the Loop.
- Protection Against Weather: Stay sheltered from sun, rain, wind, and cold temperatures.
- More Luggage Space: Conveniently bring along more or heavier luggage.
- Comfort and Safety: Enjoy a more comfortable ride and potentially safer travel.
- Family-Friendly: Suitable for travelers with children or for larger groups.
- Less Adventurous: Miss out on the thrill and freedom associated with motorbike travel.
- Less Local Experience: Traveling by car can sometimes feel more detached compared to a motorbike.
- Less Flexibility for Spontaneous Exploration: It can be more challenging to navigate narrow or off-road paths that are easily accessible by motorbike.
- Limited Interaction: Less opportunity to interact with locals and fellow travelers on the road.
The choice between exploring the Ha Giang Loop by car or motorbike depends on your preferences, comfort level, and level of adventure you seek.
Opting for a car provides a higher level of comfort, particularly during extreme weather conditions such as cold winters, hot summers, and rain. It shields you from the elements and can be less physically taxing compared to riding a motorbike for several days.
Traveling by car also allows you to bring more luggage and securely carry valuable items such as expensive camera equipment.
However, choosing to explore the Ha Giang Loop by motorbike offers a unique thrill and a closer connection to the local culture. Whether driving the motorbike yourself or riding on the back as a passenger.
Renting a car with driver in Ha Giang
Renting a car in Ha Giang always includes a driver as it is not permitted for foreigners to drive cars themselves in Vietnam. Foreigners typically require a Vietnamese driver’s license, which can only obtained for those on longer-term visas rather than tourist visas.
Even if it were allowed, driving a car in Vietnam can be challenging for people that are used to Western roads. While Ha Giang may have less chaotic traffic compared to other areas in Vietnam, the traffic rules and behaviors of road users, particularly motorbike drivers, can make it very tricky.
Choosing a car with a driver provides a stress-free and relatively affordable option for exploring Ha Giang. With a knowledgeable driver at the wheel, you can relax and enjoy the picturesque journey without the concerns of navigating unfamiliar roads or adjusting to local traffic customs.
When considering the options, it is generally recommended to choose the SUV or Sedan car options over the vans, even for larger groups. This is because cars allow everyone to sit next to a window and have the ability to open windows for fresh air. Some vans may lack windows that can be opened, limiting the overall experience.
Consider the size of your group, the amount of luggage, and the desire for comfort and optimal viewing when selecting the most suitable car option for your Ha Giang adventure.
- This option is suitable for three passengers, one driver, and luggage. It provides a compact and efficient choice for smaller groups.
- Recommended for a maximum of five passengers and one driver, this option allows for accommodating additional luggage as well.
- This van is a limousine-style bus and the same size as the 16-seater, but offers a lot more space for passengers and very comfortable seating.
- While this van can accommodate up to 16 passengers, it is not recommended for the Ha Giang Loop. Due to the size, passengers in the middle may have difficulty looking outside, limiting their ability to fully enjoy the scenic views along the journey.
Open military jeeps, which would have been an exciting option for the Ha Giang Loop, are no longer permitted due to safety concerns. The ban on these vehicles was implemented a few years ago.
While modern open jeeps are allowed, they are not as commonly available for rent in Vietnam. To purchase them in Vietnam is very expensive, which is reflected in the rental prices and availability.
Prices of Ha Giang Loop by car
The prices for renting a car for the Ha Giang Loop can vary depending on several factors such as the type of car, duration of rental, and additional services included. However, as a general guideline, here are approximate price ranges for renting a car for the Ha Giang Loop:
- 4-seater car: The rental price for a 4-seater car can range from $50 to $80 per day.
- 7-seater car: Renting a 7-seater car typically costs between $70 and $100 per day. .
- 9-seater van: The rental price for a 9-seater van, offering more space and comfort, usually falls within the range of $100 to $150 per day.
- 16-seater van: Renting a 16-seater van for larger groups can cost around $150 to $200 per day.